Let’s talk veggies! At every meal, vegetables should take up the majority of your plate. My personal goal is to try to consume about 4 cups of vegetables a day. Daily recommended servings differs based off of weight, height, age, gender, and activity level, so be sure to do your own research. Generally, 1 serving is 1 cup of leafy greens and 1/2 cup of most other vegetables. It seems vegetables is the hardest food group for people to consume enough of, so I want to give you five tangible tips to get your veggies in! 🥦🥬🥕🥒🥗
1) SMOOTHIES! Put 1-2 cups of spinach in your morning smoothie and you won’t even taste it!
2) PLAN OUT YOUR DAY. For example, if I plan to have 1.5 cups of spinach in my smoothie in the morning, 2 cups of kale in my salad at lunch, and 1/2 cup of veggies at dinner...I easily got all my vegetables in! But if I didn’t plan out my day, I easily could have missed a couple servings. Plan to succeed. 👏🏼
3) SALADS ARE YOUR FRIEND. It’s so easy to pile in the veggies, and if you top your salad with nuts/seeds, seasoning, protein, and a delicious homemade dressing, you’ll be so full at the end. (Be on the look out, for next week’s #wftuesdaytips I am sharing some simple & delicious dressings...store-bought typically has so much sugar, fillers, and preservatives!)
4) PREP AHEAD. If you don’t like raw vegetables, roast a bunch of veggies at the beginning of the week to enjoy over lunch. Drizzle a lil EVOO and pink salt over broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, carrots, & roast! You’ll be so happy you did.
5) BUSY BEE? Buy frozen vegetables! A few minutes in the microwave and you’ll be rockin and rollin. Or, buy baby carrots...no prep involved and quick to devour mindlessly.
I hope that helps! Vegetables have so many health benefits (great source of vitamins and minerals, high in potassium, high in vitamin C, high in folic acid and dietary fiber, low in fat and calories, and may help prevent cancer and heart disease -- as vegetables have NO cholesterol). I promise you’ll be so happy you incorporated more into your daily diet!